Monday 2 July 2018

Review: Bijoux Indiscrets Aphrodisia 2 in 1 Massage and Intimate Gel

Oh Glow Blog Bijoux Indiscrets Aphrodisia massage lube review sex toys sex positive south africa
We've spoken about Bijoux Indiscrets before, and it's always been with the intensity and fervour. They're a luxy brand that focuses on intimate accessories rather than sex toys per se, although they do have a VIBRATING DIAMOND that you can put on your junk. Personally, I love their emphasis on vegan-friendly products and general fabulousness -- I mean, a vibrating diamond, guys. The brand is all about sensuality and luxuriating in the little things. In the world that Bijoux Indiscrets imagines, there are always scented candles burning and the bedsheets are made from satin and it is luxurious AF. In the real world, it is a fire hazard. This is why I loudly proclaim (to the internet) that Bijoux Indiscrets products are fancier than me.

We were lucky enough to have the chance to try out their new range of scented products courtesy of Bioux Indiscrets themselves and our very own Matilda's.co.za! All but one of the toys I've bought come from Matilda's because I love their emphasis on body-safety and their bright, professional aesthetic. The first time I heard of the site was through Minerva, who showed me a business card that looked way too professional for the skeezy adult stores I'd cringed at as a teen. I knew Matilda's was entirely different and each experience with their excellent customer service only served to reassure me of this. That's why I was stoked to see that the local suppliers for Bijoux Indiscrets products were sending a review parcel through Matilda's -- they included an adorable handwritten note and paper confetti. Eco-friendly and  pretty, I love it!

With regards to the products themselves, the new range uses scent as a starting-point for pleasure. "Aphrodisia" is the signature fragrance of the company, apparently based on a recipe from The Kama Sutra which is purported to enhance arousal, and it's been used in a number of intimate products. Let's check out their silicone-based lube/massage gel combo that I had a chance to review recently.

Firstly, the packaging. I am usually a fan of a more minimalist aesthetic because it's generally more environmentally-conscious and cost-effective to boot. Also, I'm not a cat so I probably won't keep the box my toys come in because I care more about playing with the product inside. Fancy packaging drives up the price of items senselessly. I know this.

Nevertheless, I can't help but look at a Bijoux Indiscrets product and feel a bit of a flutter in my heartstrings. The 2-in-1 massage/lube combo comes in a faaancy black box accented with their signature, luxurious gold. There is also this beautiful insect pattern emblematic of the Ambrosia line printed on the closure flaps on the inside of the box. It's the attention to detail that's so special, isn't it? The finishes make it that much more luxurious in their senselessness -- the idea that you wouldn't even see those pretty little prints unless you actually purchased the product adds an extra secretive joy to it. I mean, just look at it! The bottle is actually made of glass rather than plastic and is embellished with a frou-frou bow – it looks like fancy perfume, for heavens' sake! You could have it drop out of your handbag right onto the boardroom table in the middle of a meeting and nobody would even bat an eye. I mean, it is scented, so like, you totally could. This might be useful for people who live with housemates and want to keep their lubricant on their bedside table without worrying about people noticing their personal items.

Other than just aesthetics, the fragrance is very pretty – sort of soft and floral enough to be sweet, but spicy enough to be sultry. It's not overly feminine so won't damage your fragile masculinity, if that's a problem for you or your partner. While I don't have the most discerning nose, the aroma is strong enough to be present but not overpowering enough to leave more than gently lingering perfumed traces on the body afterwards. I don't know much about aphrodisiacs, but the odour is heady and musky enough to have aromatic connotations of sensuality. 

Oh Glow Blog Bijoux Indiscrets Aphrodisia massage lube review sex toys sex positive south africa
There is additional attention to detail present in the dispension method, reflecting the dual use of the product. The bottle comes with a small screw-on cap as well as a pump (pictured), allowing you to use smaller, targeted dollops or just pour it freely. Handy! When used in a massage, the clear silicone gel warms up quickly in your hands and slides on pretty easily, but the spread power is a bit less dramatic when compared to oil-based massage aids. I think it's just because silicone is a bit more viscous and thicker; it retains its autonomy slightly more and therefore doesn't have the frictionless glide of massage oil. I didn't have a problem with this as the giver of said massage, but my recipient said that she could discern a little more drag. It didn't seem to impact on her enjoyment of the massage at all. In fact, she almost fell asleep, which is a win in my book.

As lube, it performs about the same as their Twenty One lubricant I tried a while back. It's long-lasting and provides a great protective layer that is perfect for internal play -- for me, at least. While Minerva prefers the thinner, slicker texture of water-based lubricant, I like feeling as if my lube provides a buffer for my body. This is why I prefer silicone (or oil-based when using silicone toys as silicone lube will degrade the toy due to the magic of science), and also why I would recommend something more durable than water-based lubricant for firmer insertables made from glass or steel -- a thicker lube will just make it more comfortable for many people.

Other points in favour of silicone-based lubricant is that it is latex-friendly so won't degrade condoms and other safer-sex barriers like oil will. It washes out of fabrics without staining, and because it's not water-soluble it can even be used in a bath or shower. Whoa! Sorcery!

Of course, this means that it can't be rinsed off with water or left to evaporate/be absorbed like water- or oil-based lubes and will need soap to properly get rid of the tacky feel. But let's get real here -- you'll probably need a shower anyway. Minerva is a big fan of wet-wipes for a speedy clean-up if you don't have time to have a proper wash and don't want to feel all tacky. The only thing about the soapy clean-up which gets to me is the idea of the pH levels of soap messing with the natural ecosystem of the vulva, but if you know that you suffer from candida I would suggest a special wash to counteract this. And trust me, if yeast infections are a frequent concern you should probably choose a silicone lubricant over anything with glycerine anyway.

I really enjoyed this product and would definitely recommend it to anyone without fragrance allergies -- it's pretty, it does what it says on the box, and it's got that added oomph that comes with the addition of a very classy fragrance. Thanks again to Bijoux Indiscrets and Matilda's for teaming up to facilitate these products for our unbiased review!

Website  ♡  Facebook  ♡  YouTube  ♡  Twitter  ♡  Instagram  ♡  Pinterest
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Affiliates